8 Steps to Achieve the Ultimate Outdoor Retreat
One of the things we pride ourselves on most here in Southern California is our year round indoor-outdoor lifestyle. But trust me, as a girl born and raised in Massachusetts, I’m definitely no stranger to waiting around for a long winter to end already to finally lug out all the patio furniture for my favorite season of the year! So with summer fast approaching, I’m “virtually” lugging out my favorite tips and finds of the season to help you to create your perfect outdoor retreat.
*This post contains affiliate links.
1. Begin by surveying your space and planning out the sizing and layout of each zone. Don’t be afraid to play around with a few different options before you settle on the one that flows best.
2. Make note of all of the various functions of your space. Will you be using it to dine, lounge, sun, swim, grill, play, read, or sit by the fire? This will ensure you’ll be able to select the appropriate pieces for your final design.
3. Include more seating than you’d expect to leave room for extra guests and spreading out. Here are just a few of my favorite seating solutions:
4. Ground seating zones with area rugs that allow for at least the front legs of your large-scale furniture to sit on:
5. Consider ambiance. This can be achieved with the help of lanterns, string lights, heat lamps, a fire pit, smart home music solutions, and even your color palette. Don’t forget to address privacy as well. Here are some of my favorite lighting solutions:
6. Landscaping is a big part of any exterior space. by considering both form and function, you can tackle aesthetics, privacy, shade, and even bug repellant all at the same time.
7. To take shade and sun safety a bit further, who doesn’t love a stylish pergola or umbrella?
8. Finally, accessorize simply but with purpose. Incorporating stylish, easy to clean accent tables, Turkish towels, shatterproof dinnerware, a bar cart – all of these add extra personality to the space and really personalize the look.
Hopefully this post has helped you to more easily prepare for the unofficial start to summer later on this month! Really the sooner your outdoor space is set, the sooner you’ll be able to make the most of it this summer. Have fun with it and keep me posted on your progress over on Instagram. See you there!